Thursday, May 24, 2012

whole wheat waffles

After supper tonight I whipped up a quick batch of these whole wheat waffles, which means that I got to use our brand new, beautiful waffle iron for the first time since we've been married! Needless to say, we don't cook waffles for breakfast very much. But, Eggo waffles are a favorite of ours to pop in the toaster and top with Nutella for a quick favorite. So I go to thinking, there has to be a cheaper, healthier way. And about that time, MoneySavingMom posted her recipe for freezer friendly waffles. Talk about perfect timing! Hers are big fluffy Belgian waffles, but my waffle iron makes thin, slightly-crispy/crunchy ones like Eggos which is fine by me.

what you'll need:
  • 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 oil or melted butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

how you'll do it:
in separate bowls, mix dry and wet ingredients

 pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and combine thoroughly
note: batter will be really thin; this freaked me out a little, but they cooked just fine

pour about 1 cup batter into waffle iron and let it cook
 
 yield: 6 waffles

Freezer directions: lay waffles out on wire cooling racks so they don't get soggy. Once they are cooled, store in freezer bags. 
To serve: cook in microwave, toaster, or toaster over. I suggest topping with Nutella, peanut butter and a few dark chocolate chips, or a little butter and cinnamon.

I got 6 and about 3/4 waffles out of this batch. Had I thought to take a picture of my first try before I slathered it with Nutella and ate it for dessert, you could have laughed with me at its pitifulness. But, I can assure you what it lacked in looks it made up for in flavor! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment