Wednesday, May 30, 2012

cauliflower fritters

I know, the name itself sounds daunting for some. I mean, cauliflower?! I don't think this vegetable lives on the "top 5 favorite" list of most of us, especially kids. But this recipe could be the turning point for that! I'm not kidding. When Ryan mentioned that he would like to eat more vegetables (and he meant more variety from my broccoli-potatoes-and-zucchini favorites to a fault, ahem...whoops!) I completely agreed! Always searching for something new, I stumbled across this recipe at Skinnytaste while searching for the perfect Green Monster smoothie recipe. I adapted it to what I had on hand, and I'll never look back.

I am a fan of cauliflower.

Okay fine, maybe that's stretching it since I've only eaten it once, disguised in cheese-y, whole wheat-y, spice-y goodness. But I'm at least willing to try it again. ;)

what you'll need:
  • 4 cups cauliflower
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2-3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 3 Tbsp. dried parsley
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. dill weed
  • sea salt, to taste
  • less than 1/4 hot water
  • 1/2 cup olive oil

how you'll do it:

cut up your head of cauliflower to about 4 cups worth

 steam cauliflower

coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower with a knife

mix everything together but the water and oil
 add water a little bit at a time as needed to make the "batter" a little sticky

let oil get hot in skillet and cook until each side is golden brown
yields 24 fritters

YUM!! 

Side note: I am not good at seeing how much a recipe yields and toning it down for the two of us, and this recipe was reminder of that. If you are cooking for 2-4 people, take it from me and cut this recipe in half! I now have a bag full of these fritters in my freezer hoping they will be freezer friendly and that I didn't accidentally waste perfectly good ingredients.

Update: I thawed and baked some of these last night for supper after freezing my excess and they were just as good as the first night I made them-maybe even better because they seemed a little crispy/crunchy. This is definitely a freezer friendly recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment