Wednesday, May 23, 2012

rotini lasagna casserole


I have been following MoneySavingMom's "4 week to fill your freezer" series and when she posted this recipe, I thought it was a keeper because it was just a variation of an old favorite of ours. I haven't had another chance to do a full "freezer cooking day," so instead of making this in a 9x13 pan, I was able to make this in two 8x8 pans and freeze one of them. I tweaked the recipe to our liking, and it's actually quite like my Amish lasagna except with rotini pasta instead of lasagna noodles. And, surprisingly, we like this version much better! I think it might be because there are more noodles in this recipe and it just serves easier. And it's freezer friendly...what more could a girl ask for?? :)

what you'll need:
  • 1 jar Ragu sauce
  • 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
  • 1 box whole wheat rotini pasta
  • 16 oz. cottage cheese
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella
  • Italian spices to taste
 how you'll do it:

cook noodles; meanwhile,
 brown your Italian sausage in a skillet & rinse, then

 pour your Ragu into a 2 quart pot and add your meat and heat on medium-high

mix the cottage and mozzarella cheeses and spices in a medium bowl

turn off heat for sauce. put a little sauce on bottom of pans

next, layer as follows:
 noodles>sauce>cheese>noodles>sauce>cheese



 bake for 20-ish minutes, until cheese is bubbly and gooey

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment