Monday, April 30, 2012

triple chocolate muffins

These muffins are so great, they are healthy yet rich and so good! I made them as dessert, but if you are a big chocolate fan, I bet you could force yourself to eat them for breakfast ;)

what you need:
  • 1 3/4 oats
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips, separated

how you'll do it:
  • preheat oven to 350*
  • line muffin pans with liners
  • mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a food processor *note, I mixed ingredients in a bowl and used my hand mixer "stick" with the blade adapter*
  • mix in 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • scoop into muffin tins and bake for about 10 minutes
  • open oven and distribute the remaining chocolate chips on the tops of muffins
  • bake 2-3 more minutes

Be sure to watch the muffins as they bake for 10 minutes-my oven cooks hot so by the time my timer went off they were already completely done and you want them to need to cook a little longer for the top chips to melt into the tops. Still, these didn't turn out bad at all! Hope you enjoy.

Variation:
-Next time I am going to reduce the sugar to 1/2 and see how that works because the dark chocolate is so rich, I don't think you need THAT much added sugar. Suit your taste buds.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment