what you'll need:
- 2 Tbsp. butter (I used olive oil)
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 medium carrot (I used a few handfuls of baby carrots)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 32 oz. vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
how you'll do it:
cut open the squash and clean it out (yuck! it's so slimy)
it should look cleaned out like this
tip: cut the squash into cubes, then cut the skin off each piece
i put all of the cut veggies in one big bowl
put olive oil in pot and top with veggies, cook for 5 minutes stirring continually
cover veggies with broth, lower heat to about 3-4 and cook for 40 minutes
blend until smooth by either transferring soup to a blender or using a hand blender
the final product should be smooth like this
Viola! And there you have it.
You should know:
- The squash is VERY tough and takes longer to cut up than you may expect.
- You should use gloves when handling the squash so as to not have an allergic reaction on your skin (common problem that I found out about the hard way).
- I liked this soup on the first bowl, but towards the end of it I was forcing myself not to think about its consistency. Ryan didn't really like it at all. It's definitely not a good soup to make a whole meal out of (whoops..) but would be great for an appetizer or first course!